So! As many of you know, Tom and I live in an iddy biddy basement suite that we love to iddy biddy pieces. Which means when we found out we were expecting we started getting super creative with how we were going to maximize the space we had. To see where this project started, I'd recommend checking out my first home blog, here:
This has been such a fun project for me! It has been so fun to watch the nursery evolve, because honestly at the beginning I had no concept in my mind of what I wanted it to look like. The only theme guiding me was "white with bright pops of color."
Stage 1:
We had received this bassinet from Tom's brother and sister in law- we were on a mission, keep things little to fit in our space, so this was perfect! I had been shopping kijiji like a mad woman and found this dresser (which was also the perfect dimensions for our closet space!) Tom and I had a heck of a time moving that dresser out of the woman's house... she was in a basement suite and failed to mention that before we went to pick it up. Haha. Thomas and I did not go prepared. But. We were successful. With much effort we moved that thing up many stairs, across a backyard, through the driveway to to his car! Go us.
Tom's brother and sister in law also gave us this baby swing to use! We had put it in the nursery to start with, but have since moved it to our living room. Everyone tells me a baby swing is a life saver! We are so excited to use it. Oh, and if you didn't know or check out my first home blog post... our closet nursery is in our bathroom, hence the towels. ;)
Stage 2:
We were told that the bassinet wouldn't last us too long, and so I started doing research for a crib to get prolonged use! After much research we went with the Alma Bloom Mini (lasts anywhere from kids 12-24 months depending on how big your babe gets, has two mattress heights!) Again, this crib fit perfectly into our space. It's almost like this closet was made for that crib and that dresser specifically. ;)
Stage 3:
A new area rug! The one we had previously just couldn't stay haha. I found this adorable chevron rug 50% off on Wayfair.ca. It was also the perfect size because I love how it "sections off" the nursery space from he rest of the bathroom.
I was also looking for a rocking chair that was small enough to fit in our space, and so- back to Kijiji I went! There was this darling lady from Calgary who had redone this chair, and I fell in love with the color- and it is just dainty enough to fit great! A huge thanks to my in-laws who were constantly helping me pick up all my Kijiji finds. I seriously owe them a delivery fee. ;)
We only have a shower in our suite so we also got a baby bathtub. I found this cute one on Kijiji for $5. Because who doesn't love a baby bathtub?
Stage 4:
Nursery Decor! So in about the middle of this project, I met a new friend by the name of Ashley! Ashley and her family had moved up here because her husband was starting school here in September. Ashley owns her own business (A Bundle O' Bows) and is super crafty. Like anything she touches instantly becomes a beautiful work of art. She introduced me to the wonderful world of small local shops. One of those shops was Clever Arrow, they sell the cutest felt garland! Ashley took us to a local market here in YEG and as soon as Tom and I saw the colors of the felt garland we went, yep! This one! Also, my mom had that blue mason jar left over from my wedding and gave it to me to put in the nursery. Without realizing it, pastel blue/mint became the main color of the nursery. I was totally okay with that! It's bright and fresh, and I feel it's pretty gender neutral so we can reuse everything in the future!
Ashley and I had a craft date (I was helping her get ready for a market) and we made teething necklaces. Go figure I picked pink!
Stage 5:
Storage bins to go in the top part of the closet. Don't get me started on these bins. Hehe. Let's just say Thomas and I had a heck of a time agreeing on some storage bins to put up there. We may or may not have gone through two rounds of different storage bins (some from Marshalls, and the other set from Amazon) that I ended up returning. However, I am super glad we did return them because that brought us to THESE bins, and I love them. I think they are perfect and add that punch of color I so desperately wanted. We found these aqua colored bins at Bed Bath and Beyond. It was SO funny because the whole reason I got Thomas to even go in the store is because I said "hun! They emailed me a 20% off coupon, so we need to go use it and get these bins NOW!!" So, he obliged. However, when we get to the till with these 5 storage bins (and a bunch of other stuff) the cashier goes... "It's 20% off one item, not your whole purchase. You have saved a total of $4". I burst out laughing. Sorry Thomas!
Stage 6 - Putting it all together!
Nursery Reveal:
Putting it all together. <3 I have awesome friends, and Ashley got me the "enjoy the little things" wall decor as part of Baby P's baby shower gift, and my other friend Mary made the "be brave little one" wall decor for Baby P and also included it in her baby shower gift. It's crazy because the two didn't know what the other was getting, yet their wall decor went together perfectly. My other incredibly talented friend, Alanna, also did an elephant watercolour painting for me and included it as part of her gift for Baby P (Check out more of her talented work over on Instagram- Lannilu Arts!) We found the frame for the elephant painting 40% off at Micheals and liked how it had a wood frame to match the wall hangings. So after the baby shower I was eager to set up all these goodies in the nursery! We also found a spot for the felt garland to hang and went to another local Market and picked up the "hello adventure" wall decor from Word Girl ReinCHARMations.
Nursery Details:
One of the first things I did once I was done working was finish the nursery. Of course once it was done I pulled out my Nikon and started snapping photos.
💕 "Love grows strong in little houses, with fewer walls to separate. Where you eat and sleep so close together, you can't help but communicate. If we had more room between us, think of all we might miss. Love grows best in houses just like this." 💕








So adorable and full of love :)
ReplyDelete